About Me

My photo
I am a semi-professional photographer based in Massillon, Ohio. What started out as a hobby has turned into a full-blown obsession. I love to play with light, and typically you will find me camped out with my setup, putzing around with some strobist tool or another.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Maintaining the status quo..


Trucking right along. I still haven't had a ton of time to shoot and update the blog, but I'm definitely still here! I did a recent rockabilly/vintage type shoot with Jess, and there were two photos from the set that jumped out at me.



More after the jump.



The photo above was Jessica's favorite. The way this came together was completely by accident. I am not 100% comfortable with my retouching skills yet, but they are getting there. Just like everything with photography it is a learning process. The lighting for this was pretty simple just a single flash through a small 15inch softbox. There are of course glaring flaws in it that I didn't see until later - but you can bet that the next time I shoot I will strive not to make the same mistakes. I think if you're not learning with each and every photo you take then you're not doing it right!



This is my favorite pic from the shoot. I absolutely love it, and the style of this shot is what I would like to strive for in future photos. I love the contrast, color.. hell I love everything about this photo. Jess is posed in a classic "S" curve starting from the forward tilt of her head, to her right arm (which also is creating a triangle in the photo), to her forward jutted hips and then the sway of her dress backwards. You can almost super-impose an "S" over her body. This was an accident, I may have done it subconsciously, but I honestly was just telling her what to do with her hands and where to look. I wasn't trying to get an "S" shape - it just happened. Nice for us that it did, but again something for me to be mindful of on the next shoot.

This is probably going to end up as my shortest post thus far, but just wanted to keep this blog up to date! I have some really cool stuff coming up soon and I will be updating regularly once I get shooting again. I have a new model that I will be working with in the very near future that I am super excited about. I am also planning on starting a project, whether is a 365 (unlikely) or a 52 week project. I am leaning towards a 52 week project. This would consist of one new photo per week posted on here, flickr and facebook. A 52 week project is a lot more feasible for me than a 365 right now, as I dont think I will have time to do a new photo every single day. Once week on the other hand is do-able. I have to decide what the subject will be though - I am not inclined to do self-portraits at all, we shall see. So be sure to keep an eye out for that!

In other news I got a Model Mayhem account and I am waiting to be approved as a photographer. This is a huge step for me. I am not comfortable enough to start working with semi-strangers and strangers. I don't portray myself as a professional photographer on there or anywhere else for that matter, but I need experience, and it's not just gonna get handed to me!

That's about enough rambling for one post I think. If you are so inclined you can friend me on facebook and/or flickr - I welcome all new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment